Welcome to FrequentFlier.com - the Internet's premier site for frequent flyer program information and advice. Welcome to FrequentFlier.com |
The Internet's premier site for frequent flyer program information and advice.
HomeNews & AnalysisStrategic & TacticsBlogFrequentFlier ForumProgramsAirport LinksAbout the Site
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:13 am 

Greetings,
With a little research you can save yourself some serious money.

If you are flexible on lodging, instead of renting a car from an airport location, try looking at rental locations off of the airport site that provide pick up service to locations other than the airport -- such as your hotel.

I have compared Orlando, Fla and Phoenix Az and have found that I literally saved well over $200 for a five day stay in Orlando, and will (during spring training games) save well over $100 for a three day stay in Phoenix this spring.

The airport concession fees are outrageous! Avoid them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 am 

It can be cheaper to rent in town because many car rentals at the airport have an added airport tax on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:29 pm 

Location: Brisbane (BNE), but regularly in SYD, MEL, ADL, PER
I'll agree that the cost saving can be significant where you have the flexibility of renting from an off-airport site (as has been stated, the airport concession charge).

For those who need a rental from the time they arrive, I've employed the tactic previously to get a taxi to the nearest off-airport site to commence the rental.

An alternate for those going straight to meetings on arrival and have a multi-day hire need, taxing a taxi to meetings and then picking up the hire car after your meetings at a regional (non-airport) rental office can garner savings as well. Another option is to switch cars at the end of Day 1 (where you have picked up at the airport).

You have to weigh up the time in switching cars, extra administration and any other costs, versus the savings in not paying those airport-based charges - particularly for longer rentals. So some time spent in research can pay handsome dividends.

Of course, your situation may vary :roll:

Last edited by QF WP on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:40 am 

While I agree that off-airport rentals save on the ridiculous airport fees and other charges, I've found that often the off-airport sites don't have the full selection of cars all the time, so there may be instances when you might have to settle for a different vehicle then you've reserved.
Two instances in Fort Lauderdale last year leads me to believe that for us anyway, airport rentals worked out better then the one time we rented at the intown location, where we had reserved a compact car but were offered a Pathfinder SUV as that was all that was available at the time unless we waited for over an hour for our reserved car to be returned, washed and fueled. We chose to wait, but that may not always be possible if you're on a tight schedule. And on our FLL airport rental, the lady at the Hertz desk was able to save us a few bucks per day on our five day rental of a Mazda6, so it worked out better. Of course, YMMV.

Jeff F.

Post subject: Renting off-airport
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:16 am 

If you are looking for can rental company off-airport or at the airport at affordable cheap rate then you must contact Port Canaveral Transportation company that offers limo car rental, car hire at best limo prices. Renting off-airport is better choice with more cars available at lesser price. for hire compared to car at the airport.

http://www.portcanaveraltransportation.com/towncar.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:02 am 

Since I don't rent limos in FLL as I prefer to drive myself, I guess the poster above didn't fully read or understand my comments about the choices of rental cars being better at the airport then at the in-town main Hertz office.

Jeff F.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:19 am 

Hi all. Money saving tips while renting a car are: online search, look out for the discounts and exciting offers, bookings in advance will help, etc.