Welcome to FrequentFlier.com - the Internet's premier site for frequent flyer program information and advice. Welcome to FrequentFlier.com |
The Internet's premier site for frequent flyer program information and advice.
HomeNews & AnalysisStrategic & TacticsBlogFrequentFlier ForumProgramsAirport LinksAbout the Site
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:59 pm 

HHonors has made changes in its program re when points expire of which I was not aware until I called customer service on Apr 27. HHonors doesn't post the expiration date for points anywhere on your statement, or its website. The policy in the past had been that points expired after 12 consecutive months, but now points expire based on a calendar year, according to the customer service rep with whom I spoke. BUT their website in the FAQs #29 still says "Members who do not earn points in any 12 month consecutive period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points." Under the consecutive month policy, my points would expire the end of July 2012, but under the new policy the rep said my points won't expire until the end of December 2012. The only way I can continue to confirm that statement is to take her word that she would make a note in my file.
I also found it interesting that when I first called customer service, the first rep couldn't even answer my question without assistance, and had to pass me to her supervisor.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:24 am 

Hi dancergal,

I couldn't find anything different on the HHonors website to show that anything has changed as to the expiry of a member's points if none are accrued in any consecutive 12 month period. Possibly the phone rep was confusing her infomation with the yearly (January to December) period need to maintain your elite tier status with certain amounts of stays, or nights, or dollar spend in the calendar year.
To be safe though, rather then sorry, I'd suggest trying to get a few points into your account before July or possibly losing them all. And you're right, there's no real indication on the HHonors website of when your points expire, yet the website does show any last or prior activity, so figure twelve months from your most recent date. Not the posting date, rather it's the actual date of stay or transaction.
Also, try emailing HHonors so as to have something in writing as to your actual date of points expiry. Better to have something in writing to refer to should the need arise later. In the past, they used to email members a month or two prior to the points being deleted, so that some activity could be done to keep the account alive, but possibly that's been changed.

Jeff F.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:19 am 

I've never gotten an email from Hilton HHonors warning that points were about to expire. In fact, I read in several travel magazines that it specifically is Hilton's policy to NOT warn members about expiration.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:47 pm 

I guess we've been lucky, as several years ago, Hilton sent us two emails about my wife's account being near expiry because of inactivity. We were able to have a small transaction that kept it going, and it's been fine since, so I don't know their present policy about warning of upcoming loss of points by emailing you.
But it proves the point that everyone should take responsibility for keeping track of all their frequent-flyer/frequent-guest accounts to avoid losing the points or miles in them. Just takes a few minutes every so often, and it's worth it to not have the aggravation and disappointment of losing the accumulated hotel points or airline miles.
And if all else fails, try donating some of the points or miles to the many charities that both the airlines and hotels sponsor, as that will keep your account active for another year.

Jeff F.