Welcome to FrequentFlier.com - the Internet's premier site for frequent flyer program information and advice. Welcome to FrequentFlier.com |
The Internet's premier site for frequent flyer program information and advice.
HomeNews & AnalysisStrategic & TacticsBlogFrequentFlier ForumProgramsAirport LinksAbout the Site
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:55 pm 

News today on TechCrunch about a new credit card that works on top of your existing credit cards. Seems interesting, especially for cash back. What do people think about using this to manage extra bonuses? How often does everyone see special bumps (not sign-up) for spending on certain categories (e.g. double miles at restaurants?)

Article here: http://tcrn.ch/Nwj4gm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

I see a lot of potential in this.

See my review here: http://blog.frequentflier.com/2012/06/n ... m-all.html.

Subscribe to our newsletter: http://frequentflier.com/ffp-subscribe.htm
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/twinship

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:55 pm 

derstang wrote:
What do people think about using this to manage extra bonuses? How often does everyone see special bumps (not sign-up) for spending on certain categories (e.g. double miles at restaurants?)

I think it'll be tricky to route the spending to the optimal card every time, but I'm hopefully optimistic as it seems like a good idea in theory.

I got in on the beta program, so I'll let you know how Wallaby works for me when I know more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:31 pm 

joelmeu wrote:
I got in on the beta program, so I'll let you know how Wallaby works for me when I know more.

Well, I haven't heard anything at all since the email back in July informing me that I was part of the Wallaby beta program. It's been a few months, so I kind of expected to at least have received a "We're hard at work and making progress, blah, blah..." update email by now. Has anyone heard anything?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:32 am 

joelmeu wrote:
joelmeu wrote:

Well, I haven't heard anything at all since the email back in July informing me that I was part of the Wallaby beta program. It's been a few months, so I kind of expected to at least have received a "We're hard at work and making progress, blah, blah..." update email by now. Has anyone heard anything?

Ask and ye shall receive.
I received this update recently...

Quote:

Great Things are Happening at Wallaby

Dear Wallaby Wait List Member,

You may be asking: "Where's my Wallaby Card?" Here's an update, plus a very big thank you for your patience.

The response to the media coverage we received over the summer was incredible. Tens of thousands have signed up for a Wallaby Card. This has left us with the best kind of problem -- how to meet demand and exceed expectations once our card is in your wallet.

To help ensure that every aspect of Wallaby is absolutely watertight, and to put something in all of your hands faster, we are launching an iPhone App in advance of the full launch of the Wallaby Card. This will allow us to roll out our cards soon after with enhanced features in place.

The iPhone App should be available by Thanksgiving. It will be a great tool to make your Holiday shopping dollars go further.

We can't put into words how grateful we are that you have joined us on our mission. We are more confident than ever that the Wallaby Card will be well worth the wait!

Thank you to all of you who have helped spread the word about Wallaby via Facebook and Twitter. We will limit our e-mails to you up to the big announcements, so please following us on our blog, Facebook or Twitter.

Best regards,

Matthew, Todd, and the Wallaby Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:35 pm 

I received the following email from Wallaby today:

Quote:
Wallaby for iPhone is Here!

Great news – as a Wallaby beta sign up we wanted you to be the first to know that the Wallaby iPhone App is now available in the iTunes Store.

The Wallaby iPhone App recommends which of your credit cards offers the most rewards, cash back, miles, or points for each purchase.

Getting started is simple. Just add your credit cards to the Wallaby iPhone App -- you'll be ready to go in seconds with our auto-fill card selection tool. As a "Wait List" member, you'll need to create an account for the app, so please start with the sign-up process in the iPhone App.

You’ll also be a big step closer to swiping smarter with your Wallaby Card when it is launched in early 2013.

Android users… Good news for you too. Our Wallaby Android App is well under way and we look forward to launching it in the Google Play store in December.

Thank you again for being a supporter of Wallaby.

I did download their new iPhone app and tried it out a bit. While the app doesn't yet have every good rewards credit card in its list of cards it knows about, it has the majority of the good ones. The app does give the user a way to suggest a missing credit card to the Wallaby team. As I clicked on various merchants on a map, it seemed to do a reasonable job of suggesting the best of my rewards cards for each of those merchants (e.g. suggesting the use of the Citi Forward card at restaurants).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:52 pm 

And here's the welcome email for the Wallaby iPhone app. It mentions that the Wallaby card is "coming soon"...

Quote:
Welcome to A Smarter Shopping Experience

We’re delighted to welcome you to the growing army of Wallaby users. Let’s get you swiping smarter!

Wallaby helps you answer: "Which card should I use?" You’ll get an expert, personalized recommendation on which credit card gives you the most rewards or cash back.

To get started, simply add your credit cards to the virtual Wallaby wallet -- you'll be ready to go in seconds with our easy card selection tool.

When you are shopping just open Wallaby on your phone, locate the store on the map, and you’ll get an instant recommendation on which credit card to use.

You’ll maximize cash back, miles, points or shopping discounts on every purchase.

Up next…
The Wallaby app is stage one in getting you the most points, rewards or cash back. As a Wallaby app user we’d also like to invite you to sign up for the Wallaby Card – one card to rule them all! It’s a new level of shopping convenience, and it’s coming soon.

We love feedback. Please email it to us.

Happy swiping!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:22 pm 

Still no Wallaby card, but I received an email stating they have released their app on the Android platform:

Quote:
Wallaby’s Android App is now Available!

You signed up for Wallaby (a huge thank you!) for recommendations on earning more rewards and cash back on your credit cards. With this in mind, we’re delighted to announce that version 1.0 of the Wallaby for Android App is now available in the Google Play Store.

Just in time for your last minute Holiday shopping, the free Wallaby Android App will give you expert advice on which credit card to use for each purchase.

Wallaby’s app provides powerful card recommendations via a cloud wallet that works elegantly on any Android smartphone. Set up is simple -- Android users don’t need to provide any personal data other than an e-mail and password.

To start swiping smarter, Android users add their credit cards to the Wallaby virtual wallet with our auto-fill card selection tool. You're ready to go in seconds.

To get a credit card recommendation, just open Wallaby, and locate a store on the map. The Wallaby App is geo-enabled so all the shops and restaurants close to you should be available.

Wallaby’s virtual wallet sorts your cards from best to worst so that you can make a smart decision about which plastic to use. That means more rewards, cash back, or points on the credit cards you already carry.

2012 has been a spectacular year for us. We couldn’t be more thrilled to cap it off perfectly with the launch of the Wallaby Android App!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:23 pm 

The commercial launch of the Wallaby Card is "getting closer" per the last email I received from Wallaby...

Quote:
2012 – A Great Start for Wallaby

To our customers, partners and friends,

Wallaby Financial is focused on helping you earn more rewards from your credit cards, and we had a wonderful 2012. On behalf of the Wallaby team, I want to express our gratitude for your support, feedback, and ideas. We absolutely wouldn’t be where we are without you!

Looking back over the last twelve months, we have launched our iPhone and Android apps and made significant progress towards issuing the Wallaby Card to everyone. Tens of thousands of people become part of our community as we work to help you earn more rewards.

To accelerate our development and services for you, we raised money from an exceptional group of investors, and moved into our new headquarters in Old Town Pasadena to accommodate our growing team.

There is nothing more exhilarating than seeing a team of like-minded people come together to share a vision and execute on a great product idea. While creating sophisticated and complex technology that is simple to use is never easy, we relish the challenges. We wake up every day looking forward to tackling the hurdles in changing the US financial system.

As great as 2012 has been, I’m confident that 2013 will be even better. The commercial launch of the Wallaby Card is getting closer. We appreciate your patience as you wait to swipe smarter.
Keeping aligned with your needs and ideas is critical. Please take a few minutes to complete our short Year End Survey. To say thank you, we will give away a Google Nexus 7 or Apple iPad Mini (your choice) to one survey respondent. Please take the survey now!

Thank you again for the confidence you have placed in Wallaby. We are determined to stay focused, humble, and hungry as we step in to the New Year!

Best regards,

Matthew Goldman
Co-Founder and CEO
Wallaby Financial, Inc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:33 pm 

Still no Wallaby card, but they've released a new version of their Wallaby app...

Quote:
Version 1.1 of Wallaby App Launched

We’re excited to announce the release of Version 1.1 of the Wallaby App for iPhone. You’ll find great new features and upgrades including:

- Find stores or restaurants more easily–you can now search by name or category
- Find and add new credit cards with our new name search feature
- Access the most comprehensive database of credit cards and rewards–now more than 500
- In addition, we’ve fixed bugs and enhanced performance across the board.

As always, your suggestions were invaluable. A huge thank you to the Wallaby community for the feedback and ideas!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:34 am 

Still no Wallaby card for this beta-approved user.
The last communication I got was about the new 2.0 version of their Android app.

The comments in the thread here https://walla.by/blog/47020643044/andro ... allaby-2-0 indicate that they're working through regulatory and banking approvals. The first comment in the thread implies that the Wallaby card will be out "later this year".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:28 pm 

Still no substantive updates on the Wallaby card itself. The last communication I received was the June newsletter and it's headline article was about the 2.0 version of the iPhone app:

JUNE 2013 NEWSLETTER
WALLABY 2.0 FOR IPHONE IS HERE

Big news for iPhone users: Our new release of version 2.0 of the Wallaby App for iPhone has a long list of brand new features all accessed through a great new interface. You’ll find it faster and easier than ever before to maximize rewards and gain control over your credit cards.

From a new POI database, to bank account integration and advanced preferences, Wallaby 2.0 is an entirely new app. Read more on our blog.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:40 pm 

Well, still no significant updates on the Wallaby card. The July newsletter announced the 2.1 version of the smart phone app which adds support for the US Bank Cash+ Card. That's it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:01 pm 

The Wallaby September newsletter arrived in my mailbox today. Not a peep about the Wallaby card, but I did learn about the Voice credit card from Huntington Bank that lets you choose to earn 3% rewards in a category of your choice. That was somewhat interesting.

Feels like waiting for Godot...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:24 pm 

Got a small update on the Wallaby card in the newsletter I received today:

Quote:
WALLABY CARD UPDATE

Development on the Wallaby Card continues to progress! We are currently completing our security audit, overseen by a Qualified Security Assessor from the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council. This certification will give you confidence that your credit card details are safe with us.